- Traffic Safety Resources
- Upcoming Enforcement Dates
- Events, Announcements & Training
- What's New in the V & T
- DRE - Drug Recognition Expert Program
- Publications & Studies
Halloween STOP-DWI Enforcement Crackdown — October 31 - November 2, 2014
- STOP-DWI Enforcement Training - DWI Test Refusal Hearings and the Role of a DRE Officer This training will be held on Monday, November 3, 2014 in Westchester County. See the announcement for agenda and registration information.
- Upcoming DRE Training
- The Value of Crash Reports - a series of audio podcasts at NYS Association of Chiefs of Police
- MADD STOP-DWI Awards for 2012 were held on November 12, 2013. Award winners, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and to request a print of your photo. View images and image names at MADD2012.
- TraCs Information
- Occupant Protection for Law Enforcement Roll Call Training DVD Available
New York Highway Safety Symposium
October 19 - 22, 2014 at the High Peaks Resort in Lake Placid, NY
Symposium Information, Registration Forms and Tentative Agenda.
Operation Safe Stop Education and Enforcement Day for 2014 was Thursday, April 3, 2014.
Stuck With a Ticket 2011
|Buckle Up New York, Click it or Ticket|
The Occupant Protection for NYS Law Enforcement roll-call training DVD is available to all police agencies. For those agencies that require a copy as a condition of BUNY grant funding, this video can be obtained free of charge by contacting the GTSC at (518) 474-5111.
Nighttime Seatbelt Enforcement
Saratoga Springs Police Department and New York State Police
Summary of the Most Recent Significant Traffic Safety Related Changes to the Vehicle & Traffic Law
TEXTING WHILE DRIVING LAW
Hand-Held Cell Phone and Portable Electronic Device Use is Prohibited while Driving
Changes to the laws include:
- Fine Increases for all Drivers and Increased Suspensions and Revocations for Probationary and Junior Drivers - November 1, 2014
- Restrictions for Commercial Drivers (CDL) - October 28, 2013
- Fines Increase - July 26, 2013
- Suspensions and Revocations for Probationary and Junior Drivers - July 1, 2013
"MOVE OVER LAW"
Effective January 1, 2011 - Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or standing authorized emergency vehicle.
GRADUATED LICENSING LAW
Effective February 22, 2010 - Laws for Young Drivers - in pdf format
TOUGH DWI PENALTIES
Effective December 18, 2009 - Information on Leandra's Law
LAW CHANGES THE MINIMUM AGE THAT A CHILD MUST REMAIN IN AN APPROPRIATE CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM
Effective November 24, 2009 all children under the age of 8 must be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system while riding in a motor vehicle.
- An appropriate child restraint system is one that meets the child's size and weight and the specifications of the manufacturer of such system.
- A child restraint system may be a child safety seat, harness, vest or a booster seat.
- The vehicle's safety belt alone is NOT a child restraint system.
Officers attending Drug Recognition Expert
training. Taking a blood pressure reading is
part of the process to recognize a
Police Graduate from Drug Recognition Expert Class - Wednesday, March 2, 2011 Article and photos from the Albany Times Union
The International Drug Evaluation & Classification (DRE) Program provides resources for DRE officers and trainers.
Information about the New York State's Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Program, including:
- Upcoming DRE Training
- NYS DRE Officers - pdf document
- NEW - DRE Recertification Training
- DRE School Application Forms
- A report titled "Four High-Visibility Enforcement Demonstration Waves in Connecticut and New York Reduce Hand-Held Phone Use" from the USDOT NHTSA Distracted.gov website. The report shows that high-visibility enforcement and public information can have an impact on driver behaviors. Read about different enforcement techniques for spotting drivers using hand held cell phones. In pdf format
- Find county specific crash and ticket reports from the GTSC on the Data Reports page.
- The Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research has recently published research papers on impaired driving in New York.
- A report titled Nighttime Enforcement of Seat Belt Laws: An Evaluation of Three Community Programs has been posted on the NHTSA Web site - in pdf format.
- The new Data-Driven Approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety (DDACTS) Implementation Guide is posted at NHTSA's website - in pdf format.