- Traffic Safety Resources
- Upcoming Enforcement Dates
- Events, Announcements & Training
- What's New in the V & T
- DRE - Drug Recognition Expert Program & ARIDE Training
- Publications & Studies
Law Enforcment Training Video on Distracted Driving
New York's Younger Driver Toolkit
Traffic Safety Resources from NHTSA at http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/
Hispanic Buckle Up Toolkit
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the National Latino Children’s Institute (NLCI) developed this Web-based toolkit to educate immigrant Hispanics about the importance of seat belts and increase the use in the population.
Hazlo por tu familia, ¡abróchate el cinturón! Do it for your family, buckle up!
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, traffic crashes are the leading cause of death in the United States among Hispanics under age 34.
NLCI learned that the greatest motivator for underscoring the importance of using a seat belt every time immigrants rode in a vehicle were the emotions evoked by family. Using images and a few phrases, along with reminders of the importance of the family were the best motivators to increase seat belt use.
Get your toolkit now http://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/HispanicBuckleUpToolkit
Super Bowl STOP-DWI Enforcement Crackdown — January 30 - February 2, 2015
Seat Belt Mobilization Enforcement Dates: May 18 – 31, 2015
- New York Law Enforcement Challenge - The 2014 New York Law Enforcement Challenge winners were announced on October 21, 2014 at the Highway Safety Annual Fall Symposium in Lake Placid.
- The Value of Crash Reports - a series of audio podcasts at NYS Association of Chiefs of Police
- TraCs Information
- Occupant Protection for Law Enforcement Roll Call Training DVD Available
Operation Safe Stop Education and Enforcement Day for 2015 is Thursday, April 16, 2015.
Stuck With a Ticket 2011
|Buckle Up New York, Click it or Ticket|
The Occupant Protection for NYS Law Enforcement roll-call training DVD is available to all police agencies. For those agencies that require a copy as a condition of BUNY grant funding, this DVD can be obtained free of charge by contacting the GTSC at (518) 474-5111.
Seat Belt Mobilization Enforcement: May 18 - 31, 2015
Nighttime Seatbelt Enforcement
Saratoga Springs Police Department and New York State Police
Summary of the Most Recent Significant Traffic Safety Related Changes to the Vehicle & Traffic Law
TEXTING WHILE DRIVING LAW
Hand-Held Cell Phone and Portable Electronic Device Use is Prohibited while Driving
Changes to the laws include:
- Fine Increases for all Drivers and Increased Suspensions and Revocations for Probationary and Junior Drivers - November 1, 2014
- Restrictions for Commercial Drivers (CDL) - October 28, 2013
- Fines Increase - July 26, 2013
- Suspensions and Revocations for Probationary and Junior Drivers - July 1, 2013
"MOVE OVER LAW"
Effective January 1, 2011 - Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or standing authorized emergency vehicle.
GRADUATED LICENSING LAW
Effective February 22, 2010 - Laws for Young Drivers - in pdf format
TOUGH DWI PENALTIES
Effective December 18, 2009 - Information on Leandra's Law
LAW CHANGES THE MINIMUM AGE THAT A CHILD MUST REMAIN IN AN APPROPRIATE CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM
Effective November 24, 2009 all children under the age of 8 must be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system while riding in a motor vehicle.
- An appropriate child restraint system is one that meets the child's size and weight and the specifications of the manufacturer of such system.
- A child restraint system may be a child safety seat, harness, vest or a booster seat.
- The vehicle's safety belt alone is NOT a child restraint system.
Officers attending Drug Recognition Expert
training. Taking a blood pressure reading is
part of the process to recognize a
Police Graduate from Drug Recognition Expert Class - Wednesday, March 2, 2011 Article and photos from the Albany Times Union
The International Drug Evaluation & Classification (DRE) Program provides resources for DRE officers and trainers.
Information about the New York State's Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Program, including:
- Upcoming DRE & ARIDE Training
- NYS DRE Officers - pdf document
- DRE Recertification Training
- DRE School Application Forms
- A report titled "Four High-Visibility Enforcement Demonstration Waves in Connecticut and New York Reduce Hand-Held Phone Use" from the USDOT NHTSA Distracted.gov website. The report shows that high-visibility enforcement and public information can have an impact on driver behaviors. Read about different enforcement techniques for spotting drivers using hand held cell phones. In pdf format
- Find county specific crash and ticket reports from the GTSC on the Data Reports page.
- The Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research has recently published research papers on impaired driving in New York.
- A report titled Nighttime Enforcement of Seat Belt Laws: An Evaluation of Three Community Programs has been posted on the NHTSA Web site - in pdf format.
- The new Data-Driven Approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety (DDACTS) Implementation Guide is posted at NHTSA's website - in pdf format.