- Traffic Safety Resources
- Upcoming Enforcement Dates
- Events, Announcements & Training
- What's New in the V & T
- DRE - Drug Recognition Expert Program
- Publications & Studies
Thanksgiving STOP-DWI Enforcement Crackdown — November 26 - 30, 2014
- The application period for the Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) School is from Friday, November 14 - Friday, December 12, 2014. Please see requirements and details at the DRE Training page.
- New York Law Enforcement Challenge - The 2014 New York Law Enforcement Challenge winners were announced on October 21, 2014 at the Highway Safety Annual Fall Symposium in Lake Placid.
- The Value of Crash Reports - a series of audio podcasts at NYS Association of Chiefs of Police
- MADD STOP-DWI Awards for 2012 were held on November 12, 2013. Award winners, please email email@example.com and to request a print of your photo. View images and image names at MADD2012.
- TraCs Information
- Occupant Protection for Law Enforcement Roll Call Training DVD Available
Operation Safe Stop Education and Enforcement Day for 2014 was Thursday, April 3, 2014.
Stuck With a Ticket 2011
|Buckle Up New York, Click it or Ticket|
The Occupant Protection for NYS Law Enforcement roll-call training DVD is available to all police agencies. For those agencies that require a copy as a condition of BUNY grant funding, this DVD can be obtained free of charge by contacting the GTSC at (518) 474-5111.
Nighttime Seatbelt Enforcement
Saratoga Springs Police Department and New York State Police
Summary of the Most Recent Significant Traffic Safety Related Changes to the Vehicle & Traffic Law
TEXTING WHILE DRIVING LAW
Hand-Held Cell Phone and Portable Electronic Device Use is Prohibited while Driving
Changes to the laws include:
- Fine Increases for all Drivers and Increased Suspensions and Revocations for Probationary and Junior Drivers - November 1, 2014
- Restrictions for Commercial Drivers (CDL) - October 28, 2013
- Fines Increase - July 26, 2013
- Suspensions and Revocations for Probationary and Junior Drivers - July 1, 2013
"MOVE OVER LAW"
Effective January 1, 2011 - Operation of vehicles when approaching a parked, stopped or standing authorized emergency vehicle.
GRADUATED LICENSING LAW
Effective February 22, 2010 - Laws for Young Drivers - in pdf format
TOUGH DWI PENALTIES
Effective December 18, 2009 - Information on Leandra's Law
LAW CHANGES THE MINIMUM AGE THAT A CHILD MUST REMAIN IN AN APPROPRIATE CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM
Effective November 24, 2009 all children under the age of 8 must be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system while riding in a motor vehicle.
- An appropriate child restraint system is one that meets the child's size and weight and the specifications of the manufacturer of such system.
- A child restraint system may be a child safety seat, harness, vest or a booster seat.
- The vehicle's safety belt alone is NOT a child restraint system.
Officers attending Drug Recognition Expert
training. Taking a blood pressure reading is
part of the process to recognize a
The application period for the Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) School is from Friday, November 14 - Friday, December 12, 2014. Please see requirements and details at the DRE Training page.
Police Graduate from Drug Recognition Expert Class - Wednesday, March 2, 2011 Article and photos from the Albany Times Union
The International Drug Evaluation & Classification (DRE) Program provides resources for DRE officers and trainers.
Information about the New York State's Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Program, including:
- Upcoming DRE Training
- NYS DRE Officers - pdf document
- NEW - DRE Recertification Training
- DRE School Application Forms
- A report titled "Four High-Visibility Enforcement Demonstration Waves in Connecticut and New York Reduce Hand-Held Phone Use" from the USDOT NHTSA Distracted.gov website. The report shows that high-visibility enforcement and public information can have an impact on driver behaviors. Read about different enforcement techniques for spotting drivers using hand held cell phones. In pdf format
- Find county specific crash and ticket reports from the GTSC on the Data Reports page.
- The Institute for Traffic Safety Management and Research has recently published research papers on impaired driving in New York.
- A report titled Nighttime Enforcement of Seat Belt Laws: An Evaluation of Three Community Programs has been posted on the NHTSA Web site - in pdf format.
- The new Data-Driven Approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety (DDACTS) Implementation Guide is posted at NHTSA's website - in pdf format.